Are you buying a new home, selling your old home or investing in property? If you’re trading in real estate of any kind, you will need to work with a conveyancer to handle the legal side of the equation. Finding a good expert to work with can make all the difference between a smooth property experience, and one fraught with delays and mistakes.
Conveyancers are legal practitioners who manage the legal transfer of the property. They complete a range of tasks, all of which are related to the preparation, verification and lodgement of all of the legal documents required to purchase or sell a property.
A good conveyancer will go the extra mile by explaining to you everything that is involved, such as clearly explaining the meaning and relevance of each process; translating complicated legal terms into plain English; and providing advice to help protect your rights and interests.
The $50,000 phrase buried in the paperwork
All of these elements are important, but it’s the latter that can prove truly costly. In one instance, one of our conveyancers reviewed a contract on behalf of a client who was preparing to buy an apartment in Neutral Bay. Our conveyancer noticed a small phrase in one of the documents: Structural work scheduled for next financial year.
It was buried at the bottom of the page on a disclosure statement within the contract, but to our conveyancer, it was a red flag that prompted further investigating. They went on to discover that the entire complex of 30-plus apartments was sinking – and there were substantial structural issues that were estimated to cost seven-figures to repair.
Each apartment owner in the complex would need to contribute around $50,000 each towards the rectification works within the next 12 months. Our conveyancer brought this to the buyer’s attention, who was then able to make an informed decision about whether to a) proceed with the purchase as is; b) negotiate a price reduction with the vendor; or c) walk away from the deal.
This demonstrates the value of a good quality conveyancer; we don’t simply process paperwork. We work with our clients by providing expertise and advice to ensure the best possible outcome.
Where do you find Sydney’s ‘best in class’ conveyancers?
Finding an experienced, qualified conveyancer is crucially important to the success of your property purchase and it doesn’t need to be a difficult task to track one down. To find a great conveyancer, try the following:
- Ask your network. Have any of your friends, colleagues or relatives used a conveyancer in Sydney and if so, were they happy with the service and experience they received?
- Check with the Law Society of NSW. They offer an online database of current, practicing solicitors. At ThinkConveyancing.com.au, all of our conveyancers are registered members of the Law Society of NSW.
- Seek referrals. Can your accountant, real estate agent or other professionals in the property industry refer you to an experienced conveyancer?
- Review their online reputation. Every business has an online footprint these days, so for any conveyancer that is recommended to you, check their online reputation. Do they have a professional appearance? Do they have positive reviews?
- Pick up the phone. Once you’ve found 1-2 conveyancers who seem to fit the bill, pick up the phone and call them to see how friendly, polite and professional they are. This is a good indication of how they will treat you throughout your conveyancing experience, so make sure you only work with a firm who delivers great customer service from the outset.
At ThinkConveyancing.com.au, we pride ourselves on delivering premium customer service and expertise to every client, every time. To talk to us about how we may be able to help you with your property transaction, whether you’re buying or selling, call us on 1300 932 738 today.